“Humanity has the ability to make development sustainable: to ensure that it meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs” World Commission on Environment and Development (WCED), 1987
In numerous sectors and nations, development is occurring at unprecedented rates. Whilst this development brings with it an exciting range of possibilities and opportunities, it is essential to note that development can only occur through resource creation and consumption. It is also essential to note that the resources upon which humanity is reliant for development are typically finite, requiring careful, controlled consumption. As such, it remains imperative that development is planned for, and enacted, sustainably – in a way that acknowledges our collective role as caretakers of our environment, economy, and society for future generations.
Thus, Reimagine Education has partnered with Chinese property development company Agile to create the inaugural Sustainability Award. Collectively, US$50,000 is being offered to the project that is most successful in:
- Inculcating in students an awareness of the various environmental, economic, and social challenges facing our global society;
- Inculcating in students the desire, skills, and knowledge necessary to approach these challenges;
- Improving institutional sustainability – whether environmental, social, human, and/or economic;
- Encouraging other institutions to commit to sustainable development policy;
- Instilling in students a desire to improve the sustainability of their institution and/or community.